Gird Your Waist With Truth (Week 2)


Women of Unity Bible Study

Week 2

Gird Your Waist With Truth

 

Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth… Ephesians 6:14a

Last week we talked about the importance of putting on the whole armor of God.  Hopefully after reading the lesson and having your own quiet time with God you were able to draw the same conclusions that I have. What is that conclusion?  Putting on the whole armor of God is not an option it is a must! 
This week we are going to talk about the first piece of that armor and that is what some refer to as the belt of truth.  In verse 14 Paul tells us to position ourselves first by putting on the belt of truth.  In essence he is telling us to be dressed in readiness if we are going to stand.  To gird means to fasten, to secure, to equip, to prepare. Think of it this way. Without this belt you will not be secure.  You are ill-equipped and ill-prepared.  I don’t know about you but I don’t like to be caught off guard.

So what is this truth? Truth is the band that girds up and keeps together the flowing robes, so as that the Christian soldier may be unencumbered for action.[1] The Roman soldiers wore what can be compared to what a weight lifter wears to give him strength and support so as not to damage his core.  This belt enabled the soldier to stand stronger against the enemy.  And because life doesn’t stop in order for us to get prepared we must this piece of the whole armor on every morning.

It is also important to note that this is not just any truth.  This truth is the Word of God.  Psalm 1:1 says, ‘Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly’. The enemy likes nothing more than to confuse us with lies and feel us with anxiety and fear.  Think about the last trial you faced.  I can imagine that it may have had you feeling defeated or overwhelmed, anxious and wondering how you were going to make it.  It may have even caused you to move away from God instead of running to Him.  Lies…all lies.  The enemy’s lies are meant to contort our thinking and weaken us if we believe them but every day we must combat his lies with God’s truth.

When we are faced with the difficulties of life it is important to know that our tests and trials are meant to strengthen us.  How do we know this? Because the Scripture tells us - Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.  James 1:2-4 (ESV) And not only this but the Scripture tells us that we can have peace during the storms of life.  Jesus himself said, “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (ESV)

Of course, we would not know this if we do not spend any time in the Word of God.  One thing that I have learned is that my spiritual mentor, prayer partner or my Pastor may not always be available but my Bible is.  In fact I travel with the Word.  Not just on my electronic devices but in my heart.  See what the Psalmist says about the value of the Word of God in the verses below.

I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11

I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.  Psalm 40:8

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105

Read what Jesus told His disciples in John 8:31-32.  It is not about a passing moment or once a week on Sunday morning.  It is about spending quality time in the Word.  I am a thinker by nature.  There are days when I can sit and think about something to the point of getting a headache (mainly because of my control issues). I have adopted a method to help me fight against this.  It’s found in Philippians 4:8. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. I cannot think on these things and remain in a state of anxiety.  When I think about what is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, and commendable, my thoughts go to God.  I think about His Son and the sacrifice that He made.  I begin to thank Him for the Holy Spirit that calls to remembrance this verse so that I am now no longer distracted.  I can continue on in the work that God has for me for this day. 

Prayer:
Lord, help me to secure my spiritual core with Your truth so that I will be able to combat the lies the enemy uses to distract me in an attempt to weaken me. I want to know Your truth. In Jesus’ name I pray Amen.


Points to Ponder:
1. Write down the most recent occasion when you were consumed with the lies of the enemy.

2. How might a better knowledge of the Word of God have helped you to have peace in this situation?

Personal Growth:

1. What time have you carved out in your day to spend in God’s Word? If you don’t have any time carved out in your day then write down a plan for the next seven days. Pray and ask God to help you honor your commitment.

2. What verses are in your spiritual treasure chest that you rely on during periods of anxiety or fear?  If you don’t have any find three.  Write them down.  Commit to memorizing them during the next seven days.   



[1] Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., & Brown, D. (1997). Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (Eph 6:14). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the Women of Unity Online Bible Study

Why I Should Have Never Gotten Married

Week 6 - The Helmet of Salvation and the Sword of the Spirit